THE MORRISTOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY
PLEIN AIR FESTIVAL
August 1st- August 4th, 2019
$500 1st Place Community Award
$350 2nd Place Tracy and David VanArnam Award
$200 3rd Place Simone Chevigny Kirtz Award
$300 Artists' Choice IslandView Funeral Services Award
People's Choice $100 Wright's Marine Award
Honorable Mention Bounty of St. Lawrence County Award
QuickDraw $200 1st Place Ella's Restaurant Award
QuickDraw 2nd Place $100 Cash Award
$1,750 in total Cash prizes!
Come to the birthplace and inspiration of Charles S. Chapman: the diversity and beauty of Morristown is an artist's dream! We have the St. Lawrence River, its seaway, islands and the Canadian shore. We have bustling Black Lake with its charming tackle shops, miniature golf and fishing cabins. We have historical buildings and churches. We are a 15 minute drive to the Frederic Remington Art Museum in Ogdensburg. We have the quiet and serenity of winding roads, fields of wildflowers, farms, ponds and creeks. We've taken all the suggestions from 2018 and the committee is dedicated to making each year's festival a little better. Plans began in August of 2018 and are still underway. Check this site often, updates will be posted as they are finalized.
Artists' (18 years and older) online registration here Fees are non-refundable
- The committee has set a limit of 30 artists; only the first 30 online registrations received will be accepted.
- Artists who do not sell any work (indoor or out) over any three year time period will be excluded from participation for a period of one year.
- Artists who register after June 1st will not be included in the promotional brochures due to publishing deadlines.
- Please include a brief biography (30 words or less) and a digital photograph of your work as a separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This will be used in the brochures and on the library website.
Note: If you have participated in Morristown in the past and are comfortable with one particular family please call your host to make your 2019 arrangements. It is not necessary for the library to act as a middle-man in this particular case. We are all very happy that you have made friends in Morristown. Please ensure that you have contacted your favorite hosts BEFORE you send your registration forms to the library. Only check the lodging box on the registration form if you need help arranging a home-stay. Those interested will be notified of the arrangements after June 1st.
This year's event will begin at 10a.m. Thursday, August 1st and end Sunday, August 4th with a Show and Sale. We will offer early stamping Wednesday, July 31st between the hours of 5:00 and 8:00 p.m. at the library for those who wish to begin painting Thursday morning before 10:00 a.m.
The committee will be ready to accept your work at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, August 4th at Bella-Brooke Vineyard and Winery. Framing is not required but history has shown us that it does improve sales. Work must be ready to hang with wire, no sawtooth hangers will be accepted. Artists may submit up to 3 pieces painted during the event for submission to judging and awards, each of which must be completed during our festival "en plein air", without the assistance of photography.
All entries must be identified by artist, title, media, size, location and opening bid on the label that the artist will create with a curator. The Show and Sale will open to the public as soon as judging is complete.
All work must be for sale and there is a commission of 30% paid to the library. Outside sales are also subject to 30% paid to the library.
Wednesday, July 31st: Early stamping of canvases between 5:00 and 8:00 p.m. at the library, 200 Main Street.
Thursday, August 1st: Mandatory Registration 10:00 a.m.
- Information will be provided with over 25 approved painting sites. "Approved painting site" means that the festival committee has received permission from the owner of the property for you to be there. These sites will be clearly marked with plein air yard signs and may be primitive or have access to a bathroom. You are free to make your own arrangements, the only restriction to your chosen site on Thursday and Friday is a 15 mile radius to Morristown. On Saturday you are required to paint within the village limits.
Friday, August 2nd: Artists paint. Join us at 7:00 p.m. for a social event at the Frederic Remington Art Museum. Cash bar, snacks and music. $5 entry fee.
Saturday, August 3rd: Artists paint from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. within the village limits. QuickDraw "Paint Out" Saturday morning. The contest is open to all registered artists and will run between 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. at the Chapman Gardens, 903 Northumberland Street with hosts Shirley and Joe McDonald. Interested artists must get their name on the QuickDraw competition list Thursday, 10:00 a.m. at the library.
Each artist is limited to one submission piece for QuickDraw judging. This piece must be framed and delivered to the library by 11:00 a.m. for immediate judging. Artists must provide their own easels. Juror of Awards Kathleen Kelly.
Sunday, August 4th: Artists drop off [up to] 3 paintings to our curators at Bella-Brooke Vineyard and Winery at 10:00 a.m. Curators will work with each artist to create a label and bid sheet for each of their paintings. Minimum bids are chosen by the artist. Judging will begin immediately. Show, Sale and Reception opens to the public at noon. Juror of Awards Carolyn Noble.