August 3rd - August 6th, 2017
$500 1st Place Community Award
$350 2nd Place Award Tracy and David VanArnam Award
$200 3rd Place Josie Bell Smith Award
Artists' Choice $300 Island View Funeral Services Award
People's Choice $100 Wright's Marine Award
Honorable Mention Bounty of St. Lawrence County Award
- Registration is $20. After June 1st registrations are $25.
- REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED! PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME TO THE "WAITING LIST"
- The committee has set a limit of 30 artists; only the first 30 registrations received will be accepted.
- NEW: Register online to instantly reserve your spot!
- Artists who do not sell any work (indoor or out) over a three year time period will be excluded from participation for a period of one year.
- Artists who register after June 1st will not be included in the promotional brochures due to publishing deadlines.
- Please include a brief biography (30 words or less) and a photograph of your prior work with your registration form and entry fee. This will be used in the brochures and on the library website. OR if it is easier for you please send it electronically to email@example.com
Come to the birthplace and inspiration of Charles S. Chapman: the diversity and beauty of Morristown is an artist's dream! We have the St. Lawrence River, its seaway, islands and the Canadian shore. We have bustling Black Lake with its charming tackle shops, miniature golf and fishing cabins. We have historical buildings and churches. We are a 15 minute drive to the Frederic Remington Art Museum in Ogdensburg. We have the quiet and serenity of winding roads, fields of wildflowers, farms, ponds and creeks. We've taken all the suggestions from 2016 and the committee is dedicated to making each year's festival a little better. Plans began in August of 2016 and are still underway. Check this site often, updates will be posted as they are finalized.
Artists' (18 years and older) registration fees are non-refundable
New this year - If you have participated in Morristown in the past and are comfortable with one particular family please call your host to make your 2017 arrangements. It is not necessary for the library to act as a middle-man in this particular case. We are all very happy that you have made friends in Morristown. Please ensure that you have contacted your favorite hosts BEFORE you send your registration forms to the library. Only check the lodging box on the registration form if you need help arranging a home-stay. Those interested will be notified of the arrangements after June 1st.
This year's event will begin at 10a.m. Thursday, August 3rd and end Sunday, August 6th with a Show and Sale. We will offer early stamping Wednesday, August 2nd between the hours of 5 and 8 pm at the library for those who wish to begin painting Thursday morning before 10 am.
The committee will be ready to accept your work at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, August 6th at Bella-Brooke Vineyard and Winery. Framing is not required but history has shown us that it does improve sales. Work must be ready to hang with wire, no sawtooth hangers will be accepted. Artists may submit up to 3 pieces painted during the event for submission to judging and awards, each of which must be completed during our festival "en plein air", without the assistance of photography.
All entries must be identified by artist, title, media, size, location and opening bid on the label that the artist will create with a curator. The Show and Sale will open to the public as soon as judging is complete.
We are thrilled to announce this year's Juror of Awards as Diane Drayse-Alonso of Ogdensburg, NY.
All work must be for sale and there is a commission of 30% paid to the library. Outside sales are also subject to 30% paid to the library.
Wednesday, August 2nd: Early stamping of canvases between 5 and 8 pm at the library, 200 Main Street.
Thursday, August 3rd: Artists arrive in Morristown, NY, pick up event necessities and have canvases stamped at the Morristown Public Library, 200 Main St., between 10:00 a.m.. and 11:00 a.m.. Begin painting.
- Maps will be provided with over 25 approved painting sites. "Approved painting site" means that the festival committee has received permission from the owner of the property for you to be there. These sites will be clearly marked with plein air yard signs and may be primitive or have access to a bathroom. You are free to make your own arrangements, the only restriction to your chosen site on Thursday and Friday is a 15 mile radius to Morristown. On Saturday you will be asked to paint within the village limits.
Friday, August 4th: Artists paint. Join us at 6:00 p.m. for a social event. Details of the event underway.
Saturday, August 5th: Artists paint from 9 am - 3 pm within the village limits. We're working on another cash prize for a "Paint Out". At 6:00 p.m. the public is invited to a Meet the Artists Social. This event is sponsored by The Frederic Remington Art Museum. Details of this event are underway.
Sunday, August 6th: Artists drop off [up to] 3 paintings to our curators at Bella-Brooke Vineyard and Winery no sooner than 10:00 a.m. Curators will work with each artist to create a label and bid sheet for each of their paintings. Minimum bids are chosen by the artist. Judging will begin immediately. Show, Sale and Reception opens to the public at noon.