THE MORRISTOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY
PLEIN AIR FESTIVAL
Thursday, August 3rd - Sunday, August 6th, 2017
The Morristown Public Library is pleased to announce our fifth Plein Air Festival, a four-day event where artists are invited to come into the community and paint the landscapes. There will be opportunities for the general public to Watch the Artists Paint, mingle with them at our evening social events and finally purchase their best work at the closing Silent Auction and Reception. There will be door prizes and entertainment, so mark your calendars! This is the social event of the season! See below for a timeline for the 2017 event:
- Thursday, August 3rd:
- Artists arrive!
- Friday, August 4th:
- Visit as many artists as you can throughout the day and pick up one door prize ticket at each artist's site. Rules for winning door prizes will be on the can with the tickets. Remember these artists are working under extreme time constraints. PLEASE BE ULTRA-RESPECTFUL!
Join us at 6:00 p.m. for lectures, tours and refreshments at the Iva Smith Memorial Gallery of Fine Art, 627 SH 37, Hammond, NY. New this year, we will be honoring artists Bell Chevigny, Robert Hedden and Sue Benedict. Each honoree will speak briefly about their own plein air experience. Following the presentations will be more refreshments and the visiting of each of 31 artists' displays.
- Saturday, August 5th:
- a.m.: continue to visit artists as Friday. They will be within the village limits from noon until 3 pm.
- 8:30 - 10:30 am: "Chapman's View" Paint Out at the Chapman Mansion, 903 Northumberland Street. $200 cash prize for best in show sponsored by Ella's Restaurant. Juror of Awards Kathleen Kelly.
- 9:00 - noon: ANNUAL BOOK and BAKE SALE at the library, 200 Main St., Morristown
7:00 pm Meet and Greet Artist reception at the Frederic Remington Art Museum, 303 Washington Street, Ogdensburg, NY. Director Laura Foster will present, "Remington as a Plein Air Artist", Music, cash bar and snacks. $5 entry fee at the door.
- Sunday, August 6th: A Silent Auction and Reception is open to the public at Bella-Brooke Vineyard and Winery, 2989 CR 6, Hammond, NY from noon until 3:00 p.m. Each participating artist will submit up to 3 paintings for judging of awards and silent auction. There is a $1 cover charge to attend this event. Door prizes will be drawn throughout the afternoon. Live music will entertain artists and collectors alike for a few hours during the auction. Elegant refreshments will be available. First, Second, Third, Honorable Mention Bounty of the County Award, People's Choice and Artist's Choice Awards will be announced around 2 pm. We are thrilled to announce our Juror of Awards this year as Dianne Drayse-Alonso.